Steakhouse Chipolte Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (ground)
- 16 oz cheese - combination of sharp cheddar, medium cheddar and smoked swiss
- 1 Tbsp dried chipolte chili (chipotle chili powder)
- 3/4 cup panko
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot, bring 1 gallon of water to boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and pasta and cook for 8 – 9 minute
Drain pasta and cool under cold running water. Pasta should be slightly firm. Toss drained pasta in oil and reserve
Melt butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add onions and flour and cook 1 – 2 minute but do not brown. Add cream, half and half, kosher salt, chipotle powder and white pepper.
Bring pot to a simmer. Cook until sauce is thick, about 5 – 6 minute Blend cheese into sauce and add cooked pasta.
Pour pasta and sauce into a 9 x 12″ baking dish. Sprinkle top of pasta with panko bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes.
CONNECT WITH PLAIN CHICKEN