It's Secret Recipe Club time again! This month I was assigned A Spoonful of Thyme. Kate has so many mouth-watering recipes on her blog; I had a hard time choosing just one! I ultimately decided on this Spicy Tuscan Style Sausage Ragu.
This was extremely flavorful and SO easy to make. I especially loved that it was made in the slow cooker. I love having dinner ready and waiting when I get home from work! We both absolutely loved this sauce. I t was even better the second time we ate it. I highly recommend this sauce. We will be making this on a regular basis. Thanks, Kate!
Spicy Tuscan Style Sausage Ragu
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 pound hot Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped (I used 2 Tbsp dried minced onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (I used beef broth)
- 1 28 oz can Italian peeled tomatoes with their juice, chopped (I pulsed them in the food processor)
- 1 28 oz can tomato puree
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Crumble the sausages into the pan and cook, stirring frequently to break up the lumps, until the meat is lightly browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender.
Add the wine (or broth) and scrape the bottom of the skillet. Pour the contents into the slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. Stir in the cream and cook for 1 hour more, or until the meat is very tender. Taste for seasoning.
CONNECT WITH PLAIN CHICKEN