This year we are having this Black Eyed Pea and Smoked Sausage Soup. It is SO good!!! We served this soup over some rice, and it was delicious and filling. It had a little kick from the Rotel. Just make sure to buy mild Rotel if you are sensitive to heat. You can also make a few simple swaps to this recipe to make it a little healthier - try turkey smoked sausage and brown rice. Both swaps taste delicious!
Black Eyed Pea and Smoked Sausage Soup
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces (can use turkey)
- 4 cans black eyed peas, drained
- 1 Tbsp minced onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes (regular or mild)
- 1-2 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- 2-3 cups Swanson's Louisiana Cajun broth
- 2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook smoked sausage until lightly browned. Add black eyed peas, onion flakes, garlic powder, Rotel, cajun seasoning and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with cooked rice.