Duke’s Hula Pie – easy vanilla macadamia nut ice cream pie inspired by our meal at Duke’s in La Jolla, CA. Super easy to make and no ice cream machine required! Heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, macadamia nuts, and hot fudge. This pie is to-die-for delicious! Great for parties. Leftovers will keep in the freezer for weeks. #pie #icecream #copycat
Vanilla Macadamia Nut Ice Cream Pie
This Hula Pie recipe was inspired by our trip to San Diego earlier this year. While in San Diego we took a day trip to La Jolla. We walked down on the beach to see the sea lions and had lunch at Duke’s. Duke’s was the perfect La Jolla lunch location. We snagged a seat on the edge of the balcony and had a great view of the beach.
Lunch was great, but the dessert was the star of the meal. I had never heard of Hula Pie, but it is famous at Duke’s. Vanilla macadamia nut ice cream pie, topped with hot fudge, macadamia nuts, and whipped cream in an Oreo crust. It was to-die-for. I knew right away that I had to make this at home.
How to Make Duke’s Hula Pie
This pie was super easy to make. Start with a store-bought Oreo crust. Next, make the ice cream. Whip some heavy cream until stiff. Gently fold in sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and chopped macadamia nuts. Spread the mixture into the crust. It will have a slight mound in the middle. Place the crust in the freezer and let it set up. When you are ready to serve the pie, pour some hot fudge on top of the pie and sprinkle with more macadamia nuts. Finally, add some dollops of whipped cream and serve.
Best Hula Pie Recipe
No-bake pies are my jam. Especially during the summer. This ice cream pie only takes about 5 minutes to make before popping it in the freezer to set up. So simple, and I love that you don’t need an ice cream machine to make this pie!
This Vanilla Macadamia Nut Ice Cream Pie is a favorite at our house! It is great for dinner parties, potlucks, and cookouts. Any leftovers will keep in the freezer for several months. Just make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap. If you are a fan of ice cream pies, here are a few more of our favorite frozen no-bake pie recipes from the blog that are equally delicious:
Frozen Lemon Icebox Pie – only 4 ingredients! A store-bought graham cracker crust filled with a no-churn lemon ice cream…
Duke’s Hula Pie
- 1 (9-inch) Oreo cookie crust
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1¼ cup chopped macadamia nuts, divided
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup hot fudge sauce
- Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks. Fold in sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts.
- Spread ice cream into the Oreo cookie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. Freeze for 6 hours, or until set.
- Remove from the freezer. Warm hot fudge sauce in the microwave for 10 seconds. Pour hot fudge sauce over pie and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup chopped macadamia nuts. Place back in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pie from the freezer, let sit for 10 minutes before cutting. Top with whipped cream, if desired.