Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake – the most AMAZING pound cake I’ve ever eaten! So easy and delicious! Top the cake with a lemon glaze for more yummy lemon flavor. Serve the cake with whipped cream, mint and fresh berries. I took this to a party and everyone asked for the recipe!
Stop what you are doing and make this Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake right now! It is the most AMAZING pound cake we’ve ever eaten!! It is so light and full of great lemon flavor. I took one bite and knew I was in trouble. SO good! The lemon glaze really puts this over the top. We served this with some whipped cream and vanilla ice cream. This would be a great dessert to take to a potluck. I guarantee there won’t be any leftovers!
This cake is surprisingly easy to make from scratch. Start with beating together butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Next add in some eggs, making sure to mix well after adding each one. Slowly add in flour, pudding mix, salt, and baking soda alternately with sour cream and lemon zest. Pour the batter into a greased tube pan and bake. Once the cake has cooled, top it with a simple glaze made with powdered sugar, lemon, and vanilla. YUM!
You can make this cake in advance and freeze it for later. You can also freeze any leftovers. I like to cut the cake into slices and freeze the individual slices for a quick treat later.
Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (3.4-oz) package instant lemon pudding
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups butter, room temperature (3 sticks)
- 2¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, lemon pudding mix, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light and pale yellow in color. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, stopping and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer and add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream. Mix until fully combined. Stir in the fresh lemon zest by hand.
- Pour into prepared pan and place in the oven.
- Bake, placing a piece of aluminum foil on top to prevent over browning, if needed, for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool completely.
- To make the glaze: In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and butter. Drizzle over cooled cake.