Low Fat Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This Low-Fat Sausage Breakfast Casserole is a favorite in our house. With a few simple swaps, I drastically lowered the fat of our usual breakfast casserole and didn’t have to sacrifice any flavor. Turkey sausage, low-fat cheddar cheese, egg beaters, and whole wheat bread.
This Low-Fat Sausage Breakfast Casserole needs to be made the night before baking. I just make it before I go to bed and it is ready to bake in the morning. I’ve never frozen this, but I think it would be fine to freeze it unbaked or baked. If you freeze this unbaked, just make sure to thaw it out before baking.
This Low-Fat Sausage Breakfast Casserole is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. All you need is some fruit and/or a salad and you are set. We eat this casserole at least once a month. I LOVE the swaps to lower the fat. No one will ever know this is low fat. I didn’t tell Chicken Legs and he had no idea. Give this a try ASAP! I promise it will be a hit!
Low-Fat Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 6 slices wheat bread, crusts removed
- 1-½ cups reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup egg beaters
- 1 egg
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in skillet over medium-high heat until crumbled and no longer pink. Drain any fat.
- Cut bread into cubes and place in bottom of prepared pan.
- Sprinkle cooked sausage on top of bread cubes. Top sausage with shredded cheese.
- Whisk together egg beaters, egg, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 50 minutes.