Pecan Pound Cake – delicious southern pound cake made from scratch! LOADED with pecans! Can make in advance and store in an air-tight container or even freeze for later. Butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, milk, vanilla, and pecans. SO easy and delicious. Great for parties and potlucks. Serve with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.
Southern Pound Cake From Scratch
I don’t know about you, but I am a sucker for a good pound cake. This Pecan Pound Cake is one of the best! So moist and packed full of pecans. This cake has four cups of chopped pecans in it! That is a TON! If you like pecans, you are going to LOVE this cake! There are also two pounds of butter in this cake. OMG! This is definitely an indulgent treat!
How to Make Pecan Pound Cake From Scratch
This Pecan Pound Cake is surprisingly easy to make from scratch. There are only a few simple ingredients and they come together in a snap with the help of a stand mixer. Start with beating the softened butter until it is creamy. This usually takes a few minutes. Next, add the sugars and continue to mix for a good 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs and then alternate the flour mixture with milk and stir in the pecans.
Tips & Frequently Asked Questions
- I mentioned earlier there are four cups of chopped pecans in this cake. The chopped pecans are tossed in flour before folding them into the batter. The flour will help the pecans from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
- One tip for baking is to make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before making the cake. It will create a light and fluffy cake.
- One cup of flour weighs 4.25-ounces. To properly measure flour, give the flour a stir to loosen it up in the container. Use a spoon and lightly spoon the flour into your measuring cup. Use a flat straight edge (like the straight back of a knife) to level off the top of the flour in the measuring cup. Do NOT compact the flour in the measuring cup.
- I used a tube pan for this cake. Make sure to grease and flour the pan well before adding the batter. You don’t want it to stick! I like to use baking spray with flour in it – look for Bakers Joy or Pam with flour. They work great!
- How Long Does Pound Cake Last? The cake will last 3 or 4 days in an air-tight container on the counter. You can wrap it and keep it in the refrigerator for about a week.
- Can Pound Cake be Frozen? Yes! You can even freeze pound cake! I like to cut the cake into slices and wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in freezer bags. The frozen pound cake will keep about 6 months in the freezer.
What to Serve with Pound Cake
This cake is the perfect ending to any meal. I love to make pound cakes for dinner parties and cookouts. Pound cakes are easy to make and serve a crowd. We love to serve this Pecan Pound Cake with some vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. It is also great with some fresh whipped cream.
Ritz Carlton Lemon Pound Cake
The Ritz Carlton Lemon Pound Cake – the only from scratch Lemon Pound Cake recipe you will ever need! It…
Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake
Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake – the most AMAZING pound cake I’ve ever eaten! So easy and delicious! Top the…
Snickers Poke Cake Recipe – easy cake recipe that is great for a crowd- Chocolate cake, caramel sauce, sweetened condensed…
Cake Mix Toffee Bars
Cake Mix Toffee Bars – only 5 ingredients!! Cake mix, eggs, butter, toffee bits, and sweetened condensed milk. I took…
Pecan Pound Cake
- 2 cups butter softened
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups light brown sugar packed
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Set aside.
- Beat butter in a heavy-duty stand mixer until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add sugars and continue to mix 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating just until blended. Add vanilla extract.
- Combine baking powder, salt and 3-¾ cups flour. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Toss chopped pecans with remaining ¼ cup flour. Stir into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared tube pan.
- Bake for 75 to 90 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
- Check cake at one hour and cover with foil if starting to brown.
- Cool pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an air-tight container.
Remember this recipe.
Pin this recipe to your favorite board now to remember it later!Pin This Recipe
Hi! Can I sub 1 cup buttermilk in for the 1 cup of whole milk? I always keep buttermilk on hand!
Thanks! Can’t wait to bake this!
Buttermilk and milk are not an exact substitution. I have only made this cake as written, so I can not say how it works with buttermilk.
Can the Pecan Pound Cake be prepared in a Bundt pan?
You can try it. A tube pan is larger than a standard Bundt pan, so you may have some leftover batter.