Tadd really likes Sloppy Joes, so I am always on the lookout for a good recipe. This recipe is from Cooking Light and it is very different from my standard sloppy joe recipe. My usual recipe is more of a BBQ sauce; this recipe is more like a spaghetti sauce. We liked these a lot. It only took about 20 minutes to make. The original recipe calls for 2 cups of tomato sauce – I thought that was way too much. I would cut the tomato sauce down to 1 cup next time.
adapted from Cooking Light
- 1 Tbs minced onion flakes
- 3/4 pound ground round
- 1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 (1 1/2-ounce) rolls, split
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add first 2 ingredients; cook until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in tomato sauce and next 8 ingredients (tomato sauce through black pepper); reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon 1/4 cup beef mixture over bottom half of each bun. Cover with top halves.