Black eyed peas are a must for New Year's in the south. You need to eat black eyed peas for good luck in the new year. I never ever take any chances! We always have black eyed peas on New Year's Day!
This year we are having this Slow Cooker Hopping John. Black eyed peas slow cooked with smoked sausage, tomatoes, peppers, seasonings and rice. SO simple and so delicious! All you need is some fresh cornbread and you have the perfect New Year's Day meal! This makes a TON! Invite some friends over to watch all the bowl games and have a bowl of Hopping John!
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 (15-oz) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 2 (10-oz) cans diced tomates and green chiles, undrained
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tsp Cajun/Creole seasoning (Tony Chacchere's)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 family-size package boil-in-bag rice, uncooked (about 1-1/2 cups uncooked)
Cook sausage in a large skillet until browned, about 5 minutes. (You can skip this step and the dish will be fine.)
Place sausage in slow cooker. Add black eyed peas, diced tomatoes and green chiles, beef broth, onion, bell pepper, cajun seasoning, garlic, and black pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
Pour uncooked rice into slow cooker. Stir. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
*You may need to add water if the mixture is too thick.*