Macaroni Coleslaw – two favorites combined into one! Great make-ahead side dish for potlucks and cookouts. Pasta, coleslaw mix, onion, celery, bell pepper, zucchini, water chestnuts, Miracle Whip, sugar, cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. I never have any leftovers! SO good! #sidedish #potluck #pastasalad
Remember this recipe
Pin this recipe to your favorite board now to remember it later!Pin This Recipe
Pasta Salad and Coleslaw in one side dish!
This Macaroni Coleslaw combines two favorite side dishes into one. I whipped this up for lunch last week, and we LOVED it. This is great for potlucks, Easter, summer cookouts. You can make it ahead of time and refrigerate until you are ready to serve. The leftovers will keep for several days in the refrigerator
How to Make Pasta Salad and Coleslaw
The dressing for this Macaroni Coleslaw uses Miracle Whip. I know some people don’t like Miracle Whip. Chicken Legs loves Miracle Whip, so that is what I used. If you aren’t a Miracle Whip fan, you can definitely substitute plain mayonnaise in the dressing.
I used ditalini pasta for the macaroni in this recipe. I got it at Publix. It is a common pasta shape, so you shouldn’t have any problems finding it. You can also use elbow macaroni, small bow tie pasta, small penne or any other shape will do just fine. Feel free to clean out the pantry!
How Long will Pasta Salad and Coleslaw keep?
You can make this Macaroni Coleslaw in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. It will keep 3 or 4 days in an air-tight container. If you are taking this to a picnic or tailgate, make sure to store it in the cooler. You don’t want this mayonnaise based Macaroni Coleslaw sitting out all day. I put a little out at a time so it doesn’t spoil.
What to Serve with Macaroni Coleslaw
We loved this easy Macaroni Coleslaw. It goes with just about anything – pulled pork, burgers, sloppy joes, fish, BBQ. I also love that you can make this ahead of time! This recipe makes a lot, so it is great for a crowd! Perfect for all your upcoming Spring and Summer gatherings!
Here are a few of our favorite recipes to serve alongside this Macaroni Coleslaw:
- 8- oz ditalini pasta or elbow macaroni
- 1 (16-oz) package coleslaw mix
- 1 red onion, chopped (or to taste)
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (8-oz) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1½ cups Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a large bowl combine cooked pasta, coleslaw mix, onions, celery, zucchini, green pepper, and water chestnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Miracle Whip, sugar, cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.