Cast Iron Detroit-Style Pizza – our newest obsession! Thick crust pizza layered in reverse order – toppings, cheese, and sauce on top. Ready to eat in 20 minutes. The pizza is baked in a cast iron skillet giving it perfectly crispy caramelized cheese around the edge with a soft chewy crust and lots of ooey gooey cheese! Can use any toppings you prefer. This is our new go-to weeknight pizza recipe!
Easy Cast-Iron Skillet Pizza
Pizza night is my favorite night of the week. Sometimes we order delivery and sometimes we make homemade pizza like this Cast Iron Detroit Style Pizza. This pizza is super easy to make and tastes great! It is one of the best pizzas we’ve ever made! We ate this last week and Chicken Legs already requested again this week. No problem! This is so easy to make with store bought pizza dough and a cast iron skillet.
What is Detroit-Style Pizza?
Detroit-Style pizza is a thick crust pizza with the toppings in reverse order. The dough is topped with toppings, then cheese, and more toppings, and finally sauce. We don’t normally like thick crust pizza, but this was delicious!
As I said, this pizza is very easy to make. Start with pressing the pizza dough into the bottom of a cast iron skillet. Let the dough cook on the stove for a few minutes and then assemble the pizza. Top the crust with pepperoni. Add the cheese, making sure to cover the entire crust. Next, add more pepperoni and the sauce. Finally, pop the pizza in the oven for about 15 minutes.
I took a shortcut and used store-bough pizza dough from the bakery in the grocery store. For the cheese, I used a combination of Muenster and mozzarella. YUM! Make sure to sprinkle the cheese over the entire crust – no naked dough edges on this baby! I topped the pizza with pepperoni, but feel free to use all of your favorite pizza toppings.
What to Serve with Pizza
This is a very hearty pizza. We sliced it into four large wedges. You can cut it into smaller slices or even into small square slices. You don’t need a lot with this yummy pizza. We usually have an Italian salad or pasta salad. Here are a few of our favorite recipes from the blog that go great with this easy Cast Iron Detroit-Style Pizza:
- 2 cups shredded Muenster cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ball pizza dough
- ½ tsp Italian Seasoning
- pepperoni slices
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Brush a 12-inch cast iron skillet with oil. On a lightly floured surface, stretch the dough to a 12-inch circle.
- Transfer the dough to the skillet and press to fill the pan. Thoroughly pierce the dough with a fork. Sprinkle dough with half of the Italian seasoning. Place the skillet on the stovetop. Cook over high heat for 2–3 minutes, or until the dough slightly puffs.
- Remove the pan from the heat and top with some pepperoni slices, then both kinds of cheese. Make sure to cover the entire pizza, including the edges.
- Top with the remaining Italian seasoning. Use a spoon to dollop the pizza sauce onto the dough. Add the remaining pepperoni slices and bake for 15 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven.
Remember this recipe.
Pin this recipe to your favorite board now to remember it later!Pin This Recipe